Nature-based solutions (NBS) are living solutions, inspired and supported by nature. They provide multiple benefits that build resilience, and bring nature to cities, landscapes and waterscapes through local, resource-efficient and systemic interventions.
NBS are a critical part of the sustainable urbanization process. They support biodiversity conservation, generate additional environmental, economic, and societal benefits, and provide a basis for climate change mitigation and adaptation. NBS simultaneously address multiple concerns by promoting the creation, maintenance, enhancement, and restoration of ecosystems.
Typical examples of services
- Tools to support urban tree planning through informed decision-making and policy implementation, taking into account health and social benefits
- A living NBS portfolio fed with options and ideas to implement NBS for the municipalities and products and services promoting the sustainable use of urban ecosystems
- Policy/governance framework with legal requirements and standardization processes that enable cities to adopt NBS
- Visionary and integrated solutions in public spaces that promote health and wellbeing, improving the air and environmental quality
- Ecosystem-based management and conservation of natural resources, maximizing and preserving ecosystem services in urban context
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation measures through nature-based visionary solutions
Current and past activities
- Contribute to planning and design of several eco-cities development in China
- Develop eco-label based SO2 trading system in Shanxi Province, China
- Review and development of methodologies for a meta-analysis of the drivers of urban sustainability transitions
- Perform meta-analysis case studies by looking into enabling factors towards sustainable developments in European Green Capital cities and European Green Leaf cities.
- Coordinate applications of NBS in public spaces for improving well-being and health