NILU performs regular projects for, and relevant to, the process industry.
Services range from the estimation and environmental measurement of industrial emissions, including fugitive emissions, to assessment and mitigation of impacts on the environment and human health, as well as more fundamental assessments aiding in the environmentally conscious design of processes. NILU’s services have a strong focus on circularity as well as reduction of environmental impacts along the whole supply chain.
NILU’s services for the process industry
- Monitoring of air pollutant concentrations and deposition around industrial sites
- Environmental impact assessment using dispersion models and Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)
- Identification of recycling potential using mass/material flow analysis (MFA)
- Development of support tools for environmental design and decision making
- Circular economy solutions
- Quantification of contributions from different sources to environmental concentrations above background / baseline conditions
- Reconstruction of emissions and environmental histories
Rare Earth Elements (REEs) and Platinum Group Metals (PGM)
As part of its research on circular economy, NILU has a project on Rare Earth Elements (REEs) and Platinum Group Metals (PGM). Though not used in large quantities, these elements are key enablers of modern technology. The purpose of this project is to identify potential stocks available for recycling, as well as quantification of metal pollution in the processing of electronic wastes.
NILU is leading an international consortium on Risk governance for engineered nanomaterials in the H2020 project RiskGONE. In addition to its coordinating role, NILU is responsible for setting up guidelines for risk-benefit assessment of nanomaterials. These guidelines aid in the comparative assessment of risk and benefits related to human health, the environment, and economy and society.